Network Drive Connection Issues

I currently work remotely, accessing a network of drives stationed in a different state. When I first started, I was sent a computer that was supposed to have the drives all set up, and was supposed to just log in through a DNS server to access them. That didn't work, as I wasn't able to access any of the 6 drives except one.

After receiving a Firebox and engaging in a few hour help session with Watchguard to set up/ connect all needed drives, I was able to gain access. However, within a few days I lost access to two of the 6 drives. I forward the problem on to my employer, who contacted their networking service company. They have no clue why I'm unable to access the two drives.

Side note: if I select "Work Offline" under "Easy Access" on the home ribbon of windows explorer when in the drive folder I'm trying to access, I can get VERY slow access (30 seconds to 1 minute to open up a single folder) for maybe 5 minutes. After that I lose access and have to start all over.

So, I've been tasked with figuring out the problem, but I really have no clue as to even what questions I should be asking, let alone how to troubleshoot the problem (I'm a natural science major with no networking experience).

Would anyone know where to begin?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• To me, "Work Offline" indicates that you do not try to have live access to the remote resource, and that you are trying to make a local copy of the file that maybe later will be synced back to the source.

Where is the WG firewall - at your location ?

What type of access are you using to the remote site?
    Client VPN? If so what type ?
    Branch Office VPN ?

• edited January 2020

Could be the result of a slow connection to the remote site.
    Windows 10 does odd things when there is a slow connection.
    And clicking on the work offline button, when one is offline should make it online again, which is what I guess that you are doing

Ping is a command to see if there is a slow connection.
    ping "IP addr" such as ping 10.0.1.2
    run this in a CMD box

Reply from 104.17.60.6: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56
    Time= shows the miliseconds for the reply
    What number are you seeing ?

• Bruce, sorry for the late response. The WG firewall (Firebox) is at my location. I am currently trying to access the drives directly from my computer (like C: but additional drives that are located offsite). I do not access through a VPN.

These are my results from the Ping cmd:

For IPv4 Address:

Pinging [###.###.###.#] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from [###.###.###.#]: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for [###.###.###.#]:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

For Default Gateway:

Pinging [###.###.###.#] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from [###.###.###.#]: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for [###.###.###.#]:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 1ms

• I don't understand how you are accessing the files at the remote site.
    What tool are you using to access them?

• I access them like I would any other folder on my computer. The only tools I believe I'm using are the Firebox (for firewall purposes) and internet. Originally I was using a DNS server, but at some point was switched over to not using it and just going the firewall/ accessing directly through the internet. I believe... I could be wrong, but if so this is the information I need to find out in order to determine what's wrong... :D

• See if you can find out how you are accessing these files.
    Ask your employer - the networking service company should be able to give the details.

Sign In to comment.