Watchguard wifi review.
I started using Watchguard wifi back in 2010-11.
Had a Watchguard firewall so thought it would make sense.
It was not the best product in the world but they had some good ideas and the ap went nicely together with their firewall and their dimension door server.
Their hardware for ap was cheap and it felt that way.
But since it was cheap and there was no yearly subscription service it was all good.
It also had loads of features to work well together with a windows environment.
WatchGuard is trying very hard to push their cloud solution over to people. Price has tripled for 1 ap and you are now paying a yearly subscription service to WatchGuard. What have you gotten for this price.
1) The hardware of the ap is been approved you can feel it in your hand already that’s its not some cheap thing build for the least amount of money.
2) A lot of cool new features is implemented in the cloud wifi.
1) Support remains the same. One should think with cloud there would be somewhere you could allow WatchGuard to access your solution to troubleshoot instead of them asking you to do all the starting work.
2) Old wifi that was bound to the firewall are being overlooked. ‘
3) Some of the things that worked well with a windows environment is either none existing or the ease of setting it up has gone.
I do not think WatchGuard is worth their heavy price increase. One would have hoped, that the support had gone up quite a bit, with the heavy price increase. Its not a bad support, its just very standard where they ask you a lot of question and wants you to do test things. (its fair to do so, but it should be better)
Look into UBIQUITI/Unifi I am now and I don’t think its much difference then from watchguard only a lot cheaper and no yearly subscription. (maybe they will start one day too)
Anyone else feel the same ?