Custom DHCP options on WAN side

Hello,

I've got a FTTH connexion with an ONT + ISP router + Firebox router.

In order to remove my ISP box and connect the Firebox directly to the ONT, I need to create a VLAN with a specific ID used by an external interface ("wan 1").

In that VLAN (so in External Zone), I have to use the DHCP Client and send few custom options in order to be authentificated by ISP.

These custom DHCP options exists on DHCP server side for LAN, but seems not to exist on DHCP client side for WAN, or at least are not visible in WSM (am I wrong ?)

I was wondering if it would neavertheless be possible in CLI ?

Thank you,

Fred

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Yatwatch
    DHCP options are sent by the DHCP server -- aside from some random connection details there aren't really any options to add other than the VLAN ID.

There aren't any DHCP options in the CLI that aren't in the policy manager and webUI tools -- if you're having trouble getting this set up I'd suggest a support case so that our team can help determine what might be wrong.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hello, thank you for your answer.

I knew about DHCP options send by DHCP server, but I discovered that one could send from client side too. At least, it's how I understood it.

Here is an example of a config on another router (vlan 832 and its options) :

option rfc3118-auth code 90 = string;

interface "eth1.832" {
    send host-name "gateway";
    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers, interface-mtu;
    send vendor-class-identifier "sagem";
    send user-class "\053FSVDSL_livebox.Internet.softathome.Livebox4";
    request subnet-mask, routers, domain-name-servers, domain-name, broadcast-address, dhcp-lease-time, dhcp-renewal-time, dhcp-rebinding-time, rfc3118-auth;
    send rfc3118-auth 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:1A:09:00:00:05:58:01:03:41:01:0D:66:74:69:2F:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    send dhcp-client-identifier 1:24:7f:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    }

I will open a case with support but I first asked here cause I like to share issues and solutions :wink:

• @Yatwatch said:
    Hello, thank you for your answer.

I knew about DHCP options send by DHCP server, but I discovered that one could send from client side too. At least, it's how I understood it.

Here is an example of a config on another router (vlan 832 and its options) :

option rfc3118-auth code 90 = string;

interface "eth1.832" {
    send host-name "gateway";
    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers, domain-name-servers, interface-mtu;
    send vendor-class-identifier "sagem";
    send user-class "\053FSVDSL_livebox.Internet.softathome.Livebox4";
    request subnet-mask, routers, domain-name-servers, domain-name, broadcast-address, dhcp-lease-time, dhcp-renewal-time, dhcp-rebinding-time, rfc3118-auth;
    send rfc3118-auth 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00:1A:09:00:00:05:58:01:03:41:01:0D:66:74:69:2F:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    send dhcp-client-identifier 1:24:7f:XX:XX:XX:XX;
    }

I will open a case with support but I first asked here cause I like to share issues and solutions :wink:

Hi!
    So.. I'm running into the same issue. Could you share if you ever got a answer for this?

Sign In to comment.