Mobile VPN latency statistics

Hello,

Sometimes we have users stating they have poor performance using Mobile VPN with SSL.
I'm aware of the optimizations (GCM, UDP, split tunnel, IKEv2) we can bring to improve user experience, but what could be a nice feature is that the VPN statistics on the Firebox include client response times.
With that, we could check how a particular user's connection is performing compared to other users connected. This would be a simple view to quickly identify abnormal differences and so we know that we more likely have to look at the client's side rather than the firebox side.

Sorry if this already exists...

Kind regards,

Thibaud

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Thibaud
    I've created feature request FBX-20780 for you.

Since SSLVPN gets the profile from the server (the firebox) the majority of the information from that type of report aside from latency could be derived from that profile. Asking the user for their logs in C:\ - user - \appdata\roaming\WatchGuard\Mobile VPN\ and for a ping to a resource on the firewall to determine latency can provide you that data in the interim.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• +1 Currently having issues with users connecting from poor links in various countries blaming IT support for their poor experiences. Having a trailing log of Authenticated VPN Clients with their latency statistics will make a HUGE different to how we handle support.

• @DaveDave said:
    +1 Currently having issues with users connecting from poor links in various countries blaming IT support for their poor experiences. Having a trailing log of Authenticated VPN Clients with their latency statistics will make a HUGE different to how we handle support.

Hi Dave,

For what it's worth, I might have found a way outside WatchGuard's features to see the latency between clients & servers.
    If you have clients connecting to Windows servers, the Resource monitor of the server shows latency in the network tab, TCP connections part.

Clearly it's not a measurement between the VPN client & the WG firewall, but, at least, you should be able to spot differences between different vpn clients/users.

Greetings,

Thibaud

Sign In to comment.