Cannot install WSM 12.6.3 released 12-15-20

edited December 2020 in Firebox - Hardware

New Fireware 12.6.3 and 12.5.6, along with WSM 12.6.3, were all released 12-15-20. I was able to download and install Fireware 12.6.3 and 12.5.6 onto my Win 10 Pro 64-bit computer, but I cannot install WSM 12.6.3 over 12.6.2.

I get an error stating, C:\Users\Gregg.Hill\AppData\Local\Temp\is-G6EUR.tmp\IssProc.dll."

If I try to remove WSM 12.6.2, I get an error stating, "Cannot import dll:C:\Windows\system32\IssProc.dll."

Rebooting does not help. Antivirus software is unloaded when trying to remove or upgrade WSM.

Is anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I was able to install WSM 1.6.3 on my wife's Win 10 Pro 64-bit computer, even with the antivirus software running.

Gregg Hill

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Greggmh123
    There's probably an update or other install in progress. It'll happen even when windows is just downloading them sometimes.

See:
    https://techsearch.watchguard.com/KB?type=Article&SFDCID=kA10H000000g36pSAA&lang=en_US

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• edited December 2020

James,

The path during attempted removal of 12.6.2 is static at "C:\Windows\system32\IssProc.dll" but there is no file by that name there. There is a "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IssProc.dll" file.

The path when running the new WSM 12.6.3 installer changed every time, so the only thing that should be using it is WSM installer itself. This problem rears its ugly head every few years for me.

I have been through the article you quoted and it still fails. Multiple reboots, no AV software running, no SRP group policies applied.

Gregg Hill

• I got the wild idea to copy the "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IssProc.dll" file to the "C:\Windows\system32" folder because that is where the attempted uninstalls were complaining about it. I did that, but still could not do either remove or upgrade. I changed the NTFS permissions of the file for the heck of it to give myself Full Control, then rebooted again (fourth time). After the reboot, I just left the antivirus running because I had no issue with it on my wife's computer, then tried to upgrade again. It worked.

Windows 10 was already updated this morning and I had rebooted three times this evening after the first failure, to no avail, so WHY it finally worked is anyone's guess.

Gregg Hill

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@Greggmh123 It's a Microsoft issue... or feature from their perspective. If the previous installer doesn't let go of that file the next one can't proceed. It's not that WSM is broken, it's that whatever touched that file before didn't let its lock on it go.

Whatever had a lock on the file finally released it.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I had the same issue.
    Reboots & running Windows Update did not help.

After adding my userID with full control to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\IssProc.dll", followed by a reboot, and I was able to do the install.

• @James_Carson said:
    @Greggmh123 It's a Microsoft issue... or feature from their perspective. If the previous installer doesn't let go of that file the next one can't proceed. It's not that WSM is broken, it's that whatever touched that file before didn't let its lock on it go.

Whatever had a lock on the file finally released it.

The IssProc.dll file in my user profile doesn't even exist until I run the WSM installer and the folder and files only get created by WSM installer, so how is that a Microsoft issue? The IssProc.dll file is a "Files-In-Use Extension For Inno Setup" and is from Raz-Soft.com, not from Microsoft.

When I click to dismiss the error message, the just-created "C:\Users\Gregg.Hill\AppData\Local\Temp\is-random-name.tmp\" folder and all of its files, including the just-created IssProc.dll file, all go away. So nothing other than WSM should have a lock on that file, or else it wouldn't delete.

After a successful WSM upgrade installation from 12.6.2 finally was done yesterday, I removed WSM 12.16.3, and tried to reinstall it, just to get a "clean" installation. Once again, I got the error, this time pointing to the file that the WSM installer had just created. It seems as though it is locking its OWN process. After two more reboots, I was able to get 12.6.3 freshly installed, and I now have that file in my C:\Users\Gregg.Hill\AppData\Local\Temp\is-SAAUS.tmp folder (version 1.0.2.410) and under the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ folder (version 1.0.3.454).

I have had this issue on various systems from Server 2008 R2 through Win 10 starting many years ago.

Gregg Hill

• Assuming that my adding permissions to IssProc.dll resolved my issue, I think that Run as Administrator would also have worked.

• @Bruce_Briggs said:
    Assuming that my adding permissions to IssProc.dll resolved my issue, I think that Run as Administrator would also have worked.

In my case, no, it did not. That was the first thing that I tried. I was logged in as a domain admin at the time and tried with/without run as administrator.

Gregg Hill

• I have run into this as well. I built up a Windows Server 2022 and had backed up my configuration from another server so that I could move to this server.

Most of the work I do is using RDP to work on the server, not log into it directly.

I have found that if I'm installing or updating WSM, I CANNOT do it from an RDP session. It will throw this error every time.

HOWEVER, if I log into the server directly through it's own KVM THEN I can install the software/update without a problem.

Hope this helps!

KeithR

Sign In to comment.