Downgrade from 12.6.2 to 12.5.4 - Looks to reset cfg to default

Looking to downgrade a M270

During the downgrade, its warning me that the box config will be reset to default.

I'm doing the up-downgrade remotely in the evening, and suspect that I'll loose control of the box if I do the firmware downgrade

Any way to use the old config? or do I need to do the downgrade and then load a earlier backup (from 12.5.3 before 12.6.2) and then manually apply all my changes since 12.6.2 (there are some + some WG support assisted tweaks)

Thanks Bruce :-) ;-) ?-)

P.

Comments

• edited October 2020

If you restore a backup, from USB, that includes the preferred OS, then you should not lose the configuration. The only loss will be any configuration changes that you made since the backed up version was upgraded..

Adrian from Australia

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @PWGS

If you downgrade by going to File -> Upgrade(in WSM,) or System -> Upgrade OS (in webui,) the config will reset to default. You'll want to use the backup you made before you upgraded.

If you're running into any specific problems related to the 12.6.2 version, I'd suggest opening a ticket with support. Depending on the issue that you're running into they may be able to provide a build that will fix that specific issue without going through the downgrade process.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi XXUP,

Duh. Should of thought of restoring a firmware backup :-)

Never used the "restore from internal backup" b4 as I've never Rolled back a firmware (I do usually manually backup the firmware to local PC on upgrades).

I've checked and have a firmware on the firebox just before the 12.6.2
    upgrade. Will look to use this as my roll back point.

On recovering changes, I always save off configuration every time before/after I make changes, and just reload when/if I need to go back.

Before I start to dig into it, do you know of a quick way to cleanly compare Policy manager xml saves.

Note: I've done a quick file config compare and can get a ruff idea of changes; but was wondering if there's a specific WG tool to give a cleaner compare.

Thanks for the reply

Paul

• I use Notepad++ with the Compare add-in to compare two config XML files.

Gregg Hill

• There is no WG utitlity to compare configs.

• re: (I do usually manually backup the firmware to local PC on upgrades).
    If you use WSM Policy Manager to make config changes, you can cause changed configs to be automatically saved when saving the config to the firewall.

Policy Manager -> File -> Save -> select "Always create a backup"

• @Greggmh123 said:
    I use Notepad++ with the Compare add-in to compare two config XML files.

I'll give the compare add in a try.

Beyond File compare works also; but it just gives you a line by line compare.

Sign In to comment.