Other brand APs

Anyone here using Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD APs? Any benefits over Watchguard APs?

Comments

• Search on Ubiquiti, and you will find some posts related to your question.

• Thanks Bruce. Couldn't see anything related to benefits or pros/cons.

I'm currently running an AP120 and in my experience it's not particularly good. I'm considering an AP125 but then found the UniFi nanoHD.

• WG's pros are largely related to the cloud based activity management & reporting capabilities of Secure & Total Wifi licenses.
    And with a 2nd dedicated AP, you can use WIPS.
    With the license comes software updates, support & failed hardware replacement.
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/secure-wifi/package-options

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@David_UK
    The NanoHD appears to be a 4x4 Wave2 AC AP with an arbitrarily lowered throughput speed. I'm not 100% sure, but this may be due to the power constraints of 802.1af (PoE) vice 802.1at (PoE+.)

Compared to the 4x4 AP in our lineup (AP420,) the NanoHD is much less expensive, but delivers a fraction of the performance over both bands. Again, I would suggest this is due to the constraints they put on the device my making it PoE only vice PoE+. It could also be due to the small size not having enough surface area for effective heat dissipation. *Both assumptions are just me speculating.

Compared to a AP125, which is a 2x2 AP, it performs better, but this is likely due to the additional 2 radios.

Ubiquiti offers none of the WIPS (Wireless Intrusion Prevention) and only some of the advanced analytic functions found in our secure/total WiFi packages, so they're best compared against the Basic WiFi package.

WatchGuard's warranty includes 1 or 3 years of warranty/advance replacement, whereas Ubiquiti requires you to send the defective device to them first in order replace the item. WatchGuard also offers phone and web based personal support which included in the price, whereas Ubiquiti's is generally user forum based.

Cloud management comes standard with the Secure/Total WiFi packages on WatchGuard APs, whereas Ubiquiti charges extra for this via additional licensing add-on packages.

In my opinion (with the disclaimer that I am a WatchGuard employee,) Ubiquiti excels in price, but they cut corners just about everywhere else to get there. The only advantages that I see are that they run on older 802.1af based PoE switches (vice PoE+) and that they're effectively inexpensive enough to be disposable.

If you're upgrading from an older WatchGuard or competitor's system, I'd suggest that you talk to your WatchGuard sales rep, as there are generally competitive deals/promotions for tade-ins/trade-ups.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@Bruce_Briggs
    The APs that are larger than 2x2 (AP325, AP420) can utilize the additional radios to get around the dedicated AP requirement for WIPS.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thank you James, Bruce.
    James, thanks for the technical comparison.

Sign In to comment.