Clients on 5GHz??

Hi,
I have a T35W (12.5.3) with an AP120 (8.8.1-101).
My primary SSID is assigned to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios however very few clients associate with the 5GHz band - however, if I turn off the 2.4GHz band, then clients associate with strong signal strengths.
I have band steering active with the value set to -75dB.
Any idea why the 5GHz is under-utilised and how I can steer more to the 5GHz?
Thanks
David

Comments

• From the Hardware Guide:
    Radio Type and Frequency Band: (T35–W)
    A single 3x3:3 radio that can operate on one of these bands:
    •2.4GHz802.11b/g/n
    •5GHz802.11a/n/ac

Which I read as - 2.4 or 5, but not both. To have both, I would expect 2 radios would be needed.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/hardware guides/T35_Hardware_Guide.pdf

• Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My T35W is managing the AP120 - the AP120 has two radios, one for each band.
    Apologies my initial post was a little unclear: the SSID in question is on the AP120 and the AP120 is managed by the T35W via its Gateway Wireless Controller.

• The SSID uses both radios and therefore both bands. Band steering is active but for some reason few (if any) clients connect to the 5GHz band.

• No idea.
    On my WG AP, I set up different SSIDs for 2.4 & for 5, so I have not tried your implementation.

• Hi Bruce,
    I've been thinking of creating two SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 - I was under the impression that it was 'best practice' to have a single SSID cover both bands and then let the device and band-steering run the show.
    I'll try the dual-SSID method...

• What are your power settings for each band? I use a different brand of APs, and I find they behave better if I use Low Or Medium power on the 2.4GHz band, with high power on 5GHz.

Gregg Hill

• Hi Gregg, I've been using AUTO power. I'll try that and let you know. Thanks for the information/suggestion.

• Still playing around with this and seeing how things go...

• By way of an update... I received a replacement AP from Watchguard after raising a ticket and receiving (excellent) support from the WG Team. Appears that something had gone wrong with the AP120. Since replacement, performance and stability is fantastic.

• I'm pretty sure it's best practice to have SSIDs identified by channel, which would include the band. I didn't actually try it, but conducting Real-life tests with wifi meters or mobile-device-based wifi analyzers becomes problematic with 2 channels, one on 2.4 and one on 5, with identical SSIDs.

Theoretically, it could work. But the APs can be implemented perfectly, whereas the clients are all over the place. Certain clients will connect only to broadcast SSIDs, even if configured specifically for a hidden connection. And most clients default to 2.4Ghz, because every AP has 2.4.

Trying to configure the system so it will give seamless coverage, without dropping, to many moving client nodes proves difficult. But the possible confusion added, the more problems appear. 5Ghz also drops off more steeply with distance, so the further from the AP, the larger the difference in 2.4 and 5Ghz signals
Sign In to comment.