Clients on 5GHz??

Hi,
I have a T35W (12.5.3) with an AP120 (8.8.1-101).
My primary SSID is assigned to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios however very few clients associate with the 5GHz band - however, if I turn off the 2.4GHz band, then clients associate with strong signal strengths.
I have band steering active with the value set to -75dB.
Any idea why the 5GHz is under-utilised and how I can steer more to the 5GHz?
Thanks
David

Comments

• From the Hardware Guide:
    Radio Type and Frequency Band: (T35–W)
    A single 3x3:3 radio that can operate on one of these bands:
    •2.4GHz802.11b/g/n
    •5GHz802.11a/n/ac

Which I read as - 2.4 or 5, but not both. To have both, I would expect 2 radios would be needed.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/hardware guides/T35_Hardware_Guide.pdf

• Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My T35W is managing the AP120 - the AP120 has two radios, one for each band.
    Apologies my initial post was a little unclear: the SSID in question is on the AP120 and the AP120 is managed by the T35W via its Gateway Wireless Controller.

• The SSID uses both radios and therefore both bands. Band steering is active but for some reason few (if any) clients connect to the 5GHz band.

• No idea.
    On my WG AP, I set up different SSIDs for 2.4 & for 5, so I have not tried your implementation.

• Hi Bruce,
    I've been thinking of creating two SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 - I was under the impression that it was 'best practice' to have a single SSID cover both bands and then let the device and band-steering run the show.
    I'll try the dual-SSID method...

• What are your power settings for each band? I use a different brand of APs, and I find they behave better if I use Low Or Medium power on the 2.4GHz band, with high power on 5GHz.

Gregg Hill

• Hi Gregg, I've been using AUTO power. I'll try that and let you know. Thanks for the information/suggestion.

• Still playing around with this and seeing how things go...

Sign In to comment.