SNMP for Cloud WiFi

edited August 2022 in WiFi - Cloud Managed

Any hopes of getting SNMP on the cloud managed APs? Would be nice to be able to manage them with tools like Auvik and SolarWinds.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @JonS

Wifi cloud supports SNMP to an extent already. Can you please take a look at these help articles and let us know if this meets your needs?

(SNMP Integration)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Wi-Fi-Cloud/manage_wirelessmanager/configuration/system/snmp_integration.html

(SNMP Alerts)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Wi-Fi-Cloud/discover/system/snmp.html

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi James,

I know this is old, but stumbling on it again...

After reading, it looks like the base requirement for this is to waste a very expensive AP420. This sounds like a high cost for a simple network management protocol ;) Am I reading this right?

Jon

Also, apparently I created a duplicate post that you responded to already. So I dont know if there is a way to dump one of them. I was just hoping there would be some additional information, or I was readying it wrong.

edited May 2020

Hi @JonS

I don't have a way to remove posts. I'd suggest just ignoring the other.

The AP420 requirement is so that there's something with enough available CPU to handle the extra demands of SNMP.

*edit
    The device is dedicated to building the tunnel and running CIP mode when it is put in that mode.

-James Carson

• Am I misunderstanding this?

You can configure an AP420 as the CIP in an on-premise network for use with Wi-Fi Cloud. When it is configured in CIP mode, the AP420 does not perform access point or WIPS sensor functions.

From https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Wi-Fi-Cloud/manage_wirelessmanager/configuration/wifi_access/cip_mode.html

Hi @JonS

I checked that info with the Wireless support team, and they confirmed that the AP420 that invokes the tunnel (CIP mode) will be dedicated to that task and nothing else.

(I stand corrected, but I'll go back and edit what I typed in my previous response as the KB system indexes the forums here, and I don't want it to pick up on wrong info.)

-James Carson

• Thanks James. I appreciate that. So with that said, that's a pretty expensive SNMP relay, ha? Do you know of any other solution?

Hi @JonS

The APs themselves do support syslog, but actual SNMP management will require CIP mode.

The only other way to manage the APs will be via a WatchGuard firewall and using the Gateway Wireless Controller. Management on GWC is very basic and limited. It also still isn't the SNMP package that you're looking to use.

In the future, as AP models are refreshed, it may be possible to enable CIP on smaller APs. However, at this time, 420 is the only device with the proper resources available to do it.

-James Carson

To elaborate, the intended use case of CIP mode is to allow the WatchGuard system to be used as a WIPS overlay, and get the status of a large amount of 3rd party APs.

Some syslog and SNMP monitoring of the APs is supported out of CIP mode on a per AP basis, but management is not.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Wi-Fi-Cloud/discover/system/snmp.html

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Wi-Fi-Cloud/discover/system/syslog.html

-James Carson

• Thank you James. Ideally, we were just trying to get Auvik integration and some other basic information in to our Barracuda RMM. We will keep our eyes out for some improvement in this area. From a "single pain of glass" or MSP perspective, its a big limitation in comparison to some of the other competition.

• Can we please get this as an option for more models?

SNMP is a doable service on all other AP models (Unifi, Datto, Meraki) and seems like a basic feature to be missing....

This is a must for Auvik integrations.

• Just wondering.... I cant find SNMP on WiFi 6 APs either. Am I missing it?

• :( Very disappointing. It makes me wonder what is being hidden from us. It severely limits Auvik and other network tools.

Hi @TestingTester
    I'm curious where you're getting your information -- as that's simply not the case.

@~Jon S
    The addition of SNMP for the Wi-Fi 6 APs is currently being worked on. There's a feature request that's open, it's WIFI-6542, with many other SNMP features being added to it.

The previous generation of AP -- the AC access points only have SNMP available in CIP mode, which requires a dedicated AP to act as the CIP device.

-James Carson

• @james.carson Thank you! That is great news. Standing by.

Previous post removed.

WatchGuard's direction, specifically cloud management, is based on Partner/reseller feedback, and a desire from those customers to be able to manage all devices via a single interface in the cloud. Previous generation APs that can be locally managed, as well as locally managed firewalls are still available for customers to use.

Limited SNMP polling is available for legacy GWC managed APs via the firebox that is controlling them. We do not plan on adding any new functionality to this method.

SNMP polling for AC and AC wave 2 APs is available for cloud managed APs if CIP mode is enabled. This requires an additional AP420 to act as a CIP server. We do not plan on adding any additional SNMP functionality to these products.

SNMP polling for Wi-Fi 6 APs is currently in progress, and is logged as feature request WIFI-6542. If you'd like to follow this feature request, please open a support case and mention WIFI-6542 somewhere in the case to be notified when it is available.

I'm going to close this thread to prevent it from being commandeered. If you have a new SNMP question, or a question about a different topic, please start a new thread.

-James Carson

This discussion has been closed.