Options

WireGuard vpn

Hello,

I've been reading about this new WireGuard vpn, which seems to be quite performante compared to other vpn types and will also be integrated in the linux kernel (if it isn't already).
Does WatchGuard have plans to integrate this new VPN type?

Thanks!

Greetings,

Thibaud

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Thibaud

At this current point in time there's nothing in the foreseeable future. WatchGuard's SSLVPN is based on OpenVPN, and is currently much more compatible.

There are teams looking into possibly supporting it in the future, but there's a need to strike a balance between compatibility, speed, and keep security up to the high standards that we require.

Are there any specific points or features in the WireGuard VPN that you feel are more effective. I'm happy to share customer perspectives with the teams that work on these projects.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

Hi @James_Carson !

No specific use case.
    It's just that I read a bit about this and appears to be more performant then other vpn types.
    WatchGuard's current SSL VPN is actually slower than for example IKEv2 and I thought it might be an idea to have a WireGuard client instead of the SSL VPN client, so it gets more performant.

Kind regards,

Thibaud

• Options
    edited May 2020

+1

Please implement WireGuard VPN

Feature Request opened in Case Number 01373575

• Options
    edited February 2021

You could always put a Pi running PiVPN or a VM behind your Watchguard device to run Wireguard VPNs until Watchguard comes around. It would be nice to see Watchguard implement it as an alternative (and not a replacement) to their OpenVPN-branded solution.

• Options
    edited August 2022

+1

I also wish to switch my mobile client to WireGuard.
    Hence, please implement it.
    I would not request to replace OpenVPN with WireGuard, but rather complement OpenVPN with WireGuard.

• Options

+1

Please implement WireGuard VPN

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @rgloor @Norman
    While you're welcome to add your voices here, I'd suggest creating a support case (mention FBX-19543 somewhere in the case) and the tech assigned the case can set it up to watch that request for you.

The project management team uses cases open under specific requests as a metric to see how much interest there is in a specific feature.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

+1 Watchguard Cloud with Wireguard support for Mobile and Site2Site VPN

• Options

+1 for that

With having a lot of Linux endpoints, we would appreciate support for Wireguard. We also expect, that some common problems (like VoIP e.g.), should work more stable with Wireguard.

• Options

+1

I would like to give it a try, too.
    This articel gives a good comparision between those two.

https://www.bleib-virenfrei.de/it-sicherheit/vpn/artikel/wireguard-vs-openvpn/

Sign In to comment.