AP130 issue

We recently inherited a private school customer who have an M290 and 15 AP100/200s. The Old AP's worked fine but slow as limited throughput. These units are still all in the Firebox Gateway Config...

Using same cabling, VLAN tags etc, plugged in new AP130's, power up, never connect. 1 connected but then disconnected, when it was working it had an IP and was passing traffic at expect speed. We've only replaced 5 units and expected them to just work, am I missing something?? We need to get this working before the end of this month. I will be onsite again next week. Surely deploying AP's cant be this hard??

Comments

• If the new APs are using the same IP addrs as the replaced APs, clear the firewall ARP cache prior to connecting the new AP.
    You can do that using Firebox System Manager -> Tools, or by rebooting the firewall.

You can open a support case and get help from a WG rep in resolving this as there is little info in your post to really understand the cause.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Coupeman

It sounds like the APs might not be able to connect to WatchGuard Cloud. Can you please check that they have access to the cloud.

The access points use TCP port 443 to connect to WatchGuard Cloud.
    Access points must also be able to connect to these destinations:

-.watchguard.io for product activation and feature key updates
    -
    .watchguard.com for WatchGuard Cloud registration and connections
    -Access points must be able to resolve DNS queries with the DNS server the device receives from DHCP.
    -Access points must initially be able to connect to *.pool.ntp.org on NTP port 123 (TCP/UDP) for the default access point time synchronization servers, and for any custom NTP servers set for the device.

-If you set up an access point behind a firewall that performs inspection on HTTPS traffic, you must add *.watchguard.io to the content inspection exception / bypass list to enable the access point to receive a feature key from WatchGuard servers. On the WatchGuard Firebox, this is enabled by default for cloud-managed Fireboxes in WatchGuard Cloud.

See:
    (Add an Access Point to WatchGuard Cloud)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/WG-Cloud/Devices/access_point/ap_add_cloud.html

If you're still running into an issue, I'd suggest opening a support case. You can do so via the support center link at the top right of this page.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi, so this issue persists. Firewall rules all set, old AP100s still working. Added a new AP130 to WGCloud, all ok, then just sits for days saying Never Connected. Factory reset, same. At one point one of the devices connected, and worked perfectly. At this point I'm happy to pay someone to check it all over and make sure we haven't missed or done something thats preventing these 5 units from communication with the cloud and the outside world.

• When on site, verify that a laptop etc. connected to the same subnet/VLAN, can connect to WG cloud.

My AP connects to accesspoint.usa.agent.watchguard.com periodically. If you are in the US, try a connection to it as a test.
    Mine also connects regularly to google.com, for unknown reason.
    I do not have a test DNS name for .watchguard.io

• Found this DNS name for a test: featurekeyapi.watchguard.io

• Also verify that each of these APs have a current Feature Key -

Sign In to comment.