Multi WAN failover with Dynamic DNS

Hi Community,

I am new to Watchguard and would like some help/guidance on this.

I am planning to setup 2 WAN interfaces as WAN 1 - Fiber Ethernet , WAN 2 - LTE Router as failover (WAN 1 Primary)

As I understand, DDNS should be configured per interface and not as a global setting. Can I have the same DDNS Address / Account on both interfaces?

Will only the active interface report the IP to DDNS service ?

Will setting up an SD-WAN with a appropriate policy to failover to WAN 2 be the best in this case?

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @CharmA

For DDNS, it depends on the service -- some of them only allow one IP to be updated per account, some allow a domain identifier or similar to be added. Some of the providers only allow this type of thing for a paid vs free account, as well.

The firewall reports for each interface that is configured.

If you'd like to set up SD-WAN, you're welcome to, but SD-WAN has no bearing on DDNS or vice-versa.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I would use Multi-WAN type = Failover and not use SD-WAN here.
    Failover will do what you want.

• @CharmA I wonder if you have it figured out? we are setting up the Multi-WAN as failover and configured DDNS on each interface. but the firewall seems not report IP to DDNS when failover happens.

• Is there any update on this? We have Multi-WAN with 1 Gig Fiber Ethernet for primary use, a cable modem with DHCP for failover, and an LTE modem with a static IP for failover. We are not seeing each interface update dynamic DNS, only the active interface. I would like to failover our BOVPNs to the cable modem (need dynamic DNS) instead of the LTE modem since it is more stable. Using DynDNS.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @AllanBaum It's expected that the firebox will only update the primary/active interface via DDNS. If you want to do something more advanced, I would suggest using the client provided by your DDNS provider on one of your PCs.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.