AP432 & WIPS

Hi,

We're currently using around 60 AP432 on our networks, all managed through Watchguard Cloud.
Is-it possible to use "discover.watchguard.cloudwifi.com" with these AP's, or is-it only possible through "cloud.watchguard.com" ?
The fact is that the numbers of available options, like WIPS on the first one is much easier to manage security & access & monitoring...
For example, I would like to manage the alerting options on the AP's (like turning off NTP alerts), or activating WIPS...
If you have any recommandations or advice, thanks :).

Comments

• No it isn't.
    The wifi-5 and wifi-6 APs can't be managed by the same cloud setup, and the wifi-6 models have no option to be managed by the firewall directly.

Supposedly additional wifi-6 AP functionality will be coming.

To me it is odd that WIPS is not yet available for wi-fi 6 given how much this feature was touted by WG in the past.

I believe that the reasons for the management difference is that the wifi-5 and wifi-6 APs are manufactured by different companies.

See the Tristan.Colo comment here:
    Why are WIFI 6 APs cloud managed only?
    https://community.watchguard.com/watchguard-community/discussion/2638/why-are-wifi-6-aps-cloud-managed-only

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@koff75
    -Being able to change the NTP settings/alerts is a feature that is coming soon. If you're seeing NTP alerts, it's usually because the AP is having trouble connecting to the default NTP servers.

-It isn't possible to manage the newer APs via the old cloud portal, or via GWC. GWC support will likely be dropped once the final Wave2 AC APs go end of life.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thanks for your quick feedback :smile: , we're receiving everyday NTP alerts randomly...

Do you know when the features related to the old Cloud Portal will come to the actual WG Cloud in terms of security and security report?

Thx

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

-There is a feature request to make NTP server addresses configurable -- that is WIFI-7627. If you are seeing alerts right now, this is because your APs are having trouble getting to pool.ntp.org.

There are a number of enhancements being worked on for WIPS functionality. However, it's very likely the WIPS system on the newer APs will be simplified from what you see in the previous "wifi cloud" system. The USP licensing for WIPS is available but being sold for a very low price (I think like 5-10$) basically as a placeholder for the time being. I don't have an ETA as to when this might be available, but it's likely that a feature like this will beta first, so I would suggest watching watchguard.centercode.com (where our beta program lives) if you're interested in that feature.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Again, thanks James & Bruce for these details, I appreciate, and I have a better understanding by now.

• From the Wi-Fi beta site:

On 11 Jan 2023, we released a beta firmware update (1.1.26-0.B672550) for Wi-Fi in WatchGuard Cloud access points. This update resolves these issues:
    . NTP server connection alerts are optimized to reduce the number of connection alerts. [AP-1358]

Sign In to comment.