Driver Error: Tun & Tap System

I am using Watchguard Firebox Mobile VPN with SSL, version 12.0 on an Apple Macbook Pro with macOS 10.14. When I open Firebox, there is a popup that says "Drive Error: The tun & tap system extensions may not be properly installed" and has the options to Continue or Quit. If I continue, the program works fine to my untrained eye. Is this something I need to address, and if so, how?

Note: I am not trained in IT, but I'm generally knowledgeable with technology. I am not the system administrator for my company's Firebox subscription.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

I'd suggest starting with the latest version of the VPN client for your Mac:
    (Mobile VPN with SSL v12.5.3 for MacOS)
    http://cdn.watchguard.com/SoftwareCenter/Files/MUVPN_SSL/12_5_3/WG-MVPN-SSL_12_5_3.dmg

v12.0 is very old, so I would suggest upgrading the firewall to the latest version of Fireware at some point to get the latest security patches, and fixes.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Not so. I have the same issue with this latest SSLVPN for MAC. 12.5.3
    MAC OS 10.15.6

Uninstalled, re installed same dismal error message.

What now brown cow??

• Ok...12.5.3 is error prone, in other words, JUNK. Unusable.
    Went back to 12.5.2. Seems fine.

So the answer is: stay away from 12.5.3 forever.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @HSHSupport

If you're still running into that error, I'd suggest opening a case with our support team. It's difficult to tell what might be interfering with the TAP driver based on that error message alone.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• I know on my Windows 10 systems, the only way the TAP driver installs properly is if I run the SSLVPN installer as administrator. Maybe Macs have an equivalent requirement?

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.