AuthPoint & Multiple Groups Per User

Something I find very frustrating is the fact a user can only be a member of one group within AuthPoint. This is causing administrative complexity when it comes to (for example) accessing resources such as the Access Portal (and using AuthPoint to authenticate), where there are a number of applications, and different combinations of users, using each app/set of apps:

App A
App B
App C
App D
App E

User 1
User 2
User 3
User 4
User 5
User 6

App A - All Users
App B - User 1,2,3
App C - User 4,5,6
App D - User 1,3,5
App E - User 1,2,5,6

In an ideal world (one where a certain well-known competitive product is available).. I'd just sync the equivalent AD groups into AuthPoint - regardless that a number of users belong to more than one group, and assign those groups to the Access Portal as necessary.

From what I can make out, I'd need a separate AuthPoint group for every possible combination of access - not very scalable, and complicated.

If Access Policies were done at the Resource level instead of on Groups - the whole problem goes away, if I read it right?

Cheers, James

All XTM, T-Series, M-Series, FireboxV, Firebox Cloud, Authpoint, Secure WiFi, Dimension, WSC, WatchGuard Cloud etc. Manage a few hundred devices.

Comments

• Daniele_MammanoDaniele_Mammano WatchGuard Representative

Hello James,

thanks for writing in the WatchGuard community.

Regarding your post, this is something that our AuthPoint team is already evaluating.
    We have an internal request opened tracked under:

• AAAS-5330: Allow Assigning Users/Groups to Resources

that could avoid the conflict to have one user on different groups at the same time.

Have a great day.
    Regards,
    -Daniele M.

• Hi Daniele

Good news, thanks - that'll be useful..

Cheers, James

All XTM, T-Series, M-Series, FireboxV, Firebox Cloud, Authpoint, Secure WiFi, Dimension, WSC, WatchGuard Cloud etc. Manage a few hundred devices.

• edited September 19

Placeholder (unable to delete the comment/post)

Sign In to comment.