External switch for multi-wan

I have a firecluster set up with one switch connected to both boxes on the external interface, and one on the internal. I am going to get a second internet connection, can I just connect both of those to the external swtich?

• Greg Gilbraith

Best Answer

• One switch per external interface, please - either physical or logical - a single managed switch could handle all the Firebox interfaces for both cluster members, but you need to make sure that each Firebox interface is on a separate VLAN.

• Greg Gilbraith

Answers

• Doesn't it defeat the purpose to have a firecluster if you then create a single point of failure outside of it by using a single switch?

• This may have been a test posting on the new forum - since this post was in May 2018, well before this forum was opened for general use in April 2019, and Greg is WG staff.

Yes, a single managed switch would introduce a single point of failure.

• Keep in mind your ISP hardware can typically only hand-off to a single device.

• @The_Electric_Aspen said:
    Doesn't it defeat the purpose to have a firecluster if you then create a single point of failure outside of it by using a single switch?

It doesn't defeat the the purpose of a firecluster, rather it moves the single point of failure 'upstream' to another device. Having a firecluster mitigates the risk of a firewall dropping dead/failing.

Sign In to comment.