Options

Linking 2 Lan Ports with different Subnets

Hi,
Is it possible to link 2 different subnets that are plugged into separate lan ports on the WG?

eg Lan1 port - 192.168.0.x
Lan 2 port - 192.168.1.x

Can both these subnets be able to connect to each other?
eg ip's on the 192.168.1.x subnet be able to RDP a termainl server on the 192.168.0.x?

New to Watchguards, so just checking if this is possible?

Thanks
Ryan

Comments

• Options

Yes.
    Just add an appropriate policy to allow the desired access.
    For example, add a predefined RDP Packet Filter, From: 192.168.1.0/24 (or the interface name) To: 192.168.0.0/24 (or the interface name).

Also, we generally recommend not using common subnets (ie. tour 2 subnets) on internal firewall interfaces if you plan on having remote users use VPN clients to access resources behind your firewall, since those common subnets are used on many home type ISP and user Internet devices by default and will cause access issues.

• Options

Thanks for this Bruce, I will give it a try.
    For accessing shared resources, eg a NAS drive on the 192.168.0.x subnet from the 192.168.1.x subnet, I take it I would create another policy for this?

• Options

Yes.
    Most likely, you need to allow SMB for this, using a SMB predefined Packet Filter.

If you want to allow all packet types between these 2 interfaces, you can use a predefined Any or perhaps a TCP-UDP Packet Filter

Sign In to comment.