Options

Will WatchGuard VPN work whilst travelling and working internationally?

I'm working for a company using WatchGuard Mobile VPN with SSL, my company is based in Europe and I will be travelling overseas (specifically in Asia) for work, will the VPN work as normal from different countries or do I need to speak to my IT team to grant specific access?

Comments

• Options

Check with your IT team to make sure that they do not have Geolocation blocks on any country that you will be visiting.

China is usually an issue for outgoing VPN access.

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

In most circumstances the SSLVPN is allowed, as it resides on TCP port 443 by default (the same port used for HTTPS traffic.)

It is, however, possible to block VPN traffic (even SSL based VPNs.) I would suggest requesting your company set up another VPN option (such as the IKEv2 VPN) to provide you a backup option.

Like Bruce mentioned, it's not uncommon for some countries to outright block VPN access to outside the country on a national level.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

Thank you both for your responses, is there anyway to check if there is a geolocation block without having to go through my company's IT department?

• Options

No. It is a setting on the firewall, which can be for specific countries, or none at all.
    If your company does business with most Asian countries, then probably there are not geo blocks for them.

Sign In to comment.