Options

Starlink Interface on XTM Watchguard

I have an XTM Series 2 device. My internal "Trusted" Interface is 19.168.1.x where x<=50 is reserved for fixed IP and >50 is DHCP.

I want to use anew Starlink connection as one of my two External Interfaces.

I had a look at a Starlink router and it appeared to be 192.168.1.1. Two questions -

I believe I should put the Starlink router in Bypass mode and then set the Watchguard Interface to "Use DHCP Client". Is that correct?
How can I access the Starlink device from my "Trusted" interface?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2023

It is not obvious if you can change the trusted subnet on the Starlink.
    Assuming not, then this will be an issue for you as you can't have the same subnet on external and on trusted when in mixed routing mode (the default).
    And, drop-in mode doesn't support multi-WAN.

From what I have read, Bypass mode disables wi-fi on the Starlink.

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

As a side note:
    I would suggest never setting up networks as super common subnets like 192.168.1.x, 192.168.0.x, 192.168.100.x, 10.0.0.x. You'll just run into problems interfacing with other devices that are set up to use the same default network.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

All great advice - thanks.
    I have installed Starlink and the performance is great. My wired clients are seeing speeds 100Mbps+. But what is really odd is that WIFI throughout my house is pretty slow (typically 10Mbps). My 4 WAPs are 54Mbps and 450Mbps devices so not super fast but should be doing a lot more than 10Mbps (I did catch a glance of 30Mbps just once ). No idea what is causing that as the wifi topology hasn’t changed since my original 4G+ setup (which saw better wifi speeds). I have tried fixed / DHCP address for the 450Mbps WAP, as well as passthrough DHCP for the clients through the WAP back to my Watchguard, as well as DHCP from the WAP itself. To no avail. It’s very odd.
    Any suggestions welcome.

• Options

Possible wifi interference from the Starlink?

I use some wifi apps on my laptop to look at wifi in my home - signal strength, channels, etc:
    inSSIDer Home & Acrylic Wi-Fi Home.
    Perhaps trying one of these will show a possible issue

• Options

Thanks but sadly not. Some of my WAPs are quite a long way away from the Starlink router and exhibit the problem (with no interference from the Starlink wifi). Very odd....

Sign In to comment.