Options

Front Panel Statistics

This is probably a pretty dumb question, but I can't seem to figure it out: We have a Firebox M390 and when I log in to the web interface and it takes me to the Front Panel page, I can't figure out what time frame all the different sections there (Top Clients, Top Destinations, etc) are for. It refreshes by itself periodically, and shows things like Rate, Bytes, and Hits, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if this is for the last minute, or hour, or day, or week, or month, or what. There's a time frame drop-down list on the right-hand side, but it only seems to apply to the little graphs there below it on the right-hand side, not to the main sections. Thank for your help!

Best Answers

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    Answer ✓

@DavidK
    The firewall is showing statistics for the amount of logs it has stored. Depending on how much traffic there is locally, that might be a few minutes or a few hours.

If you're looking to control the timeframe(s) on those reports/stats, you can do so in Dimension (which has a time/date selector in the top right of all the live reports)
    See:
    (Getting started with Dimension)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/dimension/get-started_dimension_d.html

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓

Q. With Dimension would we be able to select the current day?
    A. yes - quite flexible - just selected hours etc.

Q. It only requires a Basic Security license, right?
    A. it only requires an active support contract, which is included in Basic Security

Traffic Monitor in the Web UI is scroll-able.
    Not sure if the oldest shown in Traffic Monitor is the oldest for the Front Panel stats or not.

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    Answer ✓

@David_UK
    1. You should be able to scroll back in traffic monitor and see how far they go back. Keep in mind that there may be a bit of overlap as the refresh interval on the report may show data that has been recently purged before it refreshes again.

1. The Windows based Log/Report server is no longer supported, and is also very slow to show logs/reports (it often takes it 24 hours to do so.) Dimension cuts this down by quite a bit. By default Dimension shows current day. All that is required to use dimension is a firewall with an active support contract (you do not need to have any of the security suites.)

If you'd like to continue logging to your older log/report server, you can specify two servers for the firewall to send logs to. You can send logs to both.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Answers

• Options

Ok, cool, thanks for the reply. Two more questions, then:

1) So, regarding the Front Panel statistics just showing figures for the amount of logs it has stored, is there anywhere you can go to see just how far back those logs currently go at the moment?

2) We're currently just using the regular Log Server, not Dimension, and we're trying to look at traffic statistics for the current day, but the Log Server won't let us select the current day. With Dimension would we be able to select the current day? It only requires a Basic Security license, right?

• Options

Great, thank you both very much for your help! I guess I'll go ahead and get Dimension set up at some point then.

Just for the record, regarding the Traffic Monitor/Front Panel relationship, I'm not sure there actually IS one, though; my Traffic Monitor goes back anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds whenever I look at it, whereas in Front Panel I've got a couple line items there showing byte values in the gigs (one is 2 GB and one is 15 GB). Our connection is only 25 Mbps, so of course that would be physically impossible

• Options

Oh, ok, so it looks like it's statistics for all currently active connections then (regardless of how long they've been active, I suppose), I guess that makes sense. Thanks again!

Sign In to comment.