VPN connection slows cloud application performance

I have a remote user who uses our cloud based accounting package, then connects via the VPN client to print checks on a printer in the office. The cloud application works fine until she establishes the VPN connection, then the response time plummets. It will take minutes to refresh her screen when doing a query or transaction. Disconnect the VPN and she's back to normal.

She had another issue when printing checks. When she'd submit them, they would sit in her print queue, sometimes print a while later, (minutes or hours) then other times print immediately or not at all. I found that she had two network connections, one wireless and the other wired through her dock. I disconnected the wireless and her queued print jobs began printing. But that didn't fix the response time with the application.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@rnumbers
    Are you using a full tunnel VPN? If so, try setting up a split tunnel. If you're using a full tunnel, all traffic (including the cloud application) will need to go through that VPN, and whatever latency that induces. If the printer is local, depending on the routes, this may also be causing a problem.

Opening a support case will allow one of our support reps to take a look at your setup and provide recommendations based on that.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.