Changes to policies don't require saving to Firebox?

Currently running WSM 12.9.2 and managing a FireCluster running 12.9.0 U1. (The cluster will be updated to 12.9.2 when I'm next in the office at the end of this week.)

Apologies in advance if this is answered elsewhere. I searched via Google and the community search but didn't find anything that seemed to address the question I have. If someone has a pointer to where this is discussed further (either KB article or in the documentation), I would appreciate a pointer/link to it.

I opened Policy Manager and disabled (not deleted) a number of firewall rules that were no longer needed. I expected the changes I made to require saving down to the firebox but Policy Manager didn't indicate that at all with the asterisk in the title bar for the window. I did perform a save to firebox just to be safe.

Does any one know if this is a bug or if there are some types of changes to policies don't require saving to the firebox to make them active?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

If you made changes in policy manager, they will require a save to the firewall. Policy manager does not maintain a connection to the firewall (it disconnects after it initially loads the policies.)

I'm not sure why the asterisk didn't show up -- If you can make that happen again, I'd suggest opening a case so we can get a copy of your config, reproduce it, and get a bug filed to get that fixed.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thanks for the reply, James. That's what I thought.

I'll get a ticket opened so support can look into it further.

Sign In to comment.