Block Google ADs, and ads

Is there a way to block Google Ads on the firebox?

I saw this post, but this is from 2 years, so just want to get an updated answer.

https://community.watchguard.com/watchguard-community/discussion/949/how-to-totally-escape-ad-tracking

Comments

• I now use the Brave web browser which reduces ads, including removing them from YouTube.

• Thank you, I never heard of Brave browser. But is there a way to block it from within Firebox?

• Only the ways listed in the posts to which you provided a link.

• Ok thank you, since you were the one that answered the one in my link.

• edited January 2023

You can also find on the Internet or create a list of domains that you want to block.
    Note that there is a limit of 1024 or 2048 domain names that you can have in a config, depending in the firewall model. So you can't have huge lists.

Set up an Alias with that list and have a HTTPS packet filter policy denying those. You can import a list into an Alias.

One can block domain name lookups in a DNS proxy - Query Names.
    But you need to add each domain name manually as there is currently no way to import a list into it.
    And, if you have DNSWatch enabled, DNS policies in a config are currently not processed.

• ok thanks again

• zYxzYx
    edited July 28

@tantony I implemented Pihole at my org. DC DNS servers use Pihole as their primary DNS before using public DNS, i.e. 1.1.1.1, etc. Even Mobile VPN clients use our DC's DNS, so if the user is connected to a VPN, their ads, tracking, etc. are blocked!

I have two Pihole Ubuntu VMs at two different sites and use gravity-sync to sync both.

Sign In to comment.