Options

max password length on auth portal

Hi,

Does anyone know the max password length the web auth portal will accept for an AD authentication? Is it limited to the same 32 chars as a firebox DB login?

We had a student this week with an 128-char password and it wouldnt work via the watchguard.

thanks

--
WatchGuard M4600 (x2 Cluster)
WatchGuard M640 (x2 Cluster)
Firmware : 12.8

Comments

• Options

Try to read this article
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/wsc/wg_passphrases_about_c.html
    I dont know how many chars its the maximun to stablish a password,
    try to read this.
    I hope have help you

• Options

Thanks, thats the document i read too, but it only really talks about firebox passwords. Not external authentication sources like Radius or AD. We've never had an issue with SSO, but maybe the web authentication has limitations on what it can post.

--
    WatchGuard M4600 (x2 Cluster)
    WatchGuard M640 (x2 Cluster)
    Firmware : 12.8

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Abertay
    I don't think the limit is password character length, but rather packet size on the request and page size on the response. If the password hash is truncated in the max size of the packet it will simply be truncated. If you're using plain old LDAP/AD, you should be able to run a packet capture and see what's in the query (the password will be hashed.)

If that's true, it's far more common in the response where too many groups will start getting truncated.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.