Options

M270 power switch

New to M270 and trying to understand the difference between the power button in the front and power switch on the back.
The power button in front can turn the firebox On and Off. So, what is the purpose of the power switch on the back, that has only one position?
In the hardware guide there are only two references to power switch on the back that do not explain much, and that switch has only one position, so when you push and release the switch it comes right back to the position it was in.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@maestro
    The power switches do the same thing. They were added on some of our rackmount models as customers complained that it was hard to do the reset procedure having to press reset in the front and the power switch in the back.

You can use either, it does not make any difference.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

Thank you for clarifying this.
    It was confusing because a switch usually has two fixed positions, on and off, and the power switch on the back functions like a broken switch that has only one position :)

• Options

@maestro said:
    Thank you for clarifying this.
    It was confusing because a switch usually has two fixed positions, on and off, and the power switch on the back functions like a broken switch that has only one position :)

I don't have an M270, but your post made me curious, so I looked at its hardware guide https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/hardware guides/Firebox_M270_Hardware_Guide.pdf and that rear power switch sure looks like a two-position rocker switch. It even has the standard icon for an on/off switch.

Is your swicth different?

Gregg Hill

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @greggmh123
    All of the current rackmounts going back to the XTM series have momentary switches that look like rocker switches as far as I'm aware. The only notable exception would be the XTM330.

Tabletop units have a normal on/off rocker switch.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

James,

That makes sense. The only rack mount box I have touched is my first WatchGuard, a Core X550e with jet engines for fans. I went table top after that experience!

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.