Options

Minimum Mobile VPN with SSL client version after Watchguard firmware update

I have noticed when updating the firmware in a Watchguard, the Mobile VPN with SSL client also updates.
I think older versions of the client carry on working but I have noticed some older versions stop working.
Is it documented somewhere the minimum version of the client for each firmware version?
Thank you.

Answers

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Andrew_Young
    For the most part, any mobile vpn client 11.9.x or better will work, albeit I would suggest upgrading to the latest if you have the opportunity, as there's often security and/or performance fixes in each new release.

Users will only see the prompt to upgrade if they are logged in as a user with administrative privileges. If they're a normal user level user, the current version will run without the prompt.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

Is there anyway to restrict VPN Client Access to a particular version level (ie to force upgrade to the latest or near-latest version)? In the GUI (12.7.2) , under Status/Authentication List, I see connected sessions noted as SSLVPN 'Type', but the 'Client' field is blank.

Not being able to enforce such a policy seems to leave way for an older client with vulnerabilities to make connections. Perhaps there is some other way to flag older versions connecting such a report in the WM application?

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @273Kelvin There isn't currently a way to do this.
    There is an open feature request to show the client version in the Authentication List, and that is ID FBX-18936.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

It will be interesting to see what gets listed when this feature is provided.
    The V12.7 & 12.7.2 Windows version of the client are identical and have an internal version number shown in the SSLVPN client logs of 5.35, which is presumably the OpenVPN version number upon which the WG version is based.

Sign In to comment.