Dynamic IP Adress Resolution not working

Hello everyone,

we are desperately trying to set up dynamic IP resolution.
We have already made the settings in the dimension itself based on the Watchguard documentation.
In the Diagnostics tab, the dimension also resolves the IP cleanly with the FQDN. The "normal" IP resolution via DNS does not work, although the DNS is entered correctly. We entered the DNS as the first DNS in the Firebox and in the dimension.

Some information you might need:

• DNS: Windows DNS
  • Dimension: on premise
  • DNS resolution works on the Linux machine itself

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @AHB1337
    What version of Dimension are you using?
    There's a current bug for Dimension 2.2 where client name resolution via DNS does not work.

Are you trying to set up dynamic IP mapping or Dynamic DNS resolution (like DynDNS?)

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hey @""james.carson"
    Thanks for your fast reply. Surprise surprise, we are currently using the dimension version 2.2 :D

We are trying to set up a dynamic IP resolution through our internal Windows DNS and have also entered a Google DNS as the third DNS (8.8.8.8).
    It is interesting that the DNS resolution with an external DNS works without any problems.

Hi @AHB1337
    Internal DNS resolution via forward lookups should work if you've populated an internal DNS server. If this isn't working, it's likely that your server isn't responding to requests from the Dimension server.

There is an issue specifically with Dynamic IP address mapping -- this specifically won't work.

You can read more about the issue here:

https://techsearch.watchguard.com/KB?type=Known Issues&SFDCID=kA16S000000SN0TSAW&lang=en_US

-James Carson

• Hey @james.carson
    As defined above, the DNS resolution in the diagnostics tab of the dimension works with the FQDN.
    I also reach the dimension's DNS from our internal Windows DNS.

The DNS resolution therefore works in my eyes without any problems. Both sides of the DNS can resolve each other.

Do you have any ideas what else I can try?

Hi @AHB1337

Please take a look at the link in my previous post. There's a known issue with that service. It'll take a bugfix release in order to resolve the problem.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.