What is the recommended use case for "wired extension of an SSID"

I'm struggling to understand when you would use the second LAN port on the WAP's other than for link aggregation. I'm just the presales engineer and clients keep asking things like "can't I just daisy-chain my WAPs wit that other LAN port" and I would like to have a better answer than "no, that's not what you think it is. It's not a switchport."

Thanks.

Phil

Best Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    Answer ✓

Hi @Phil_RTS

The wired extension is used when mesh is in use. It allows a customer to plug a device or switch into an AP that doesn't have wireless capibility. This is usually only done where phyiscal wiring is impossible.

The APs don't support using the second port to daisy chain. This would effectively reduce the available throughput to each AP every time it's done. Getting power to the APs would also be problematic if this were supported as only the first AP could be powered via PoE.

Only the APs that can exceed 1Gbps have two ethernet ports. If the infrastructure is avaialble where they're being installed, I'd suggest using Link Aggregation if you can. If the customer wants to daisy chain the APs, they're effecively crippling their network to save a little bit of money on cabling.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    Answer ✓

@Phil_RTS
    I've seen it used for a timeclock, and security cameras.

Effectively, you configure an SSID for that port to connect to, and you can plug something into it.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Answers

• Thanks James. So would this be things like security cameras or cellular extensions or something then? I kind of know what a "wired extension of an SSID" is not but I don't understand what it is.

Sign In to comment.