Options

Multicast Routing Clarification

New to the forums, not new to the products. I was curious if anyone can clarify a very vague statement. When referring to https://watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/networksetup/multicast_about_c.html in the Help Center I find the following line "Your Firebox supports PIM Sparse Mode (PIM-SM) which is used when only a few devices subscribe to the multicast. These devices are multicast receivers. Receivers can be located anywhere in the world, on any network, and compose the multicast group logical group." I come from a world where "a few" relates to less than 5.
Does anyone have some real world experience that can expand upon this statement. I have a situation that requires multicast traffic. Between clients and gateways I'll need close to 30 or 40 receivers.

Comments

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

I don't have any running examples of this, but most instances I've encountered are specific to the firebox routing video traffic (h323) for videoconference type units.

I'd suggest looking into what types of multicast your chosen devices support -- if it's not PIM Sparse Mode (PIM-SM), PIM Source-Specific Multicast (PIM-SSM), or IGMP v2 and v3, the firebox won't be of much use here.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.