setting up a new VM and have some questions...

its 2019 and I see the suggestion for hyper-v is to use a gen1 VM and the template file is a .vhd.
1. Can I convert it to a .vhdx?
2. Can we upgrade the VM to Gen2?

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the post.

Currently, Gen1 is all that's supported. This is to maintain compatibility with Server 2012, which is still supported.

You're welcome to create your data partition (the second hard drive that you set up) as a VHDx, however, I would not recommend trying to migrate the template system provided into one.

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• James,
    Continued support for Server 2012 is a rather funny reason. Microsoft stopped mainstream support for Server 2012 over 6 months ago! I"m pretty sure its safe to say any company still running a windows 2012 hyper-v host is also unlikely to upgrade their dimension server. For an IO and network intensive VM, Its a shame you guys decided to sacrifice the efficiencies gained from a gen2 VM simply to provide backwards compatibility for a server OS that is three generations behind the current OS.

Side note: I did .vdh for OS and .vhdx on scsi for storage.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll certainly pass along your requests to that team.

We have a wide variety of users running Dimension in vastly different environments. While I understand what you're trying to accomplish, it's not really safe to assume that people on those systems won't be doing any upgrades.

Thank you very much for your input, and I'll ensure it's passed along to the correct team.

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• James, if someone is on server 2012, they are either out of support with Microsoft and not doing updates OR they are paying significant money to Microsoft for extended support to continue updates. Either way, they wouldn't be holding onto a windows 2012 hyper-v host. Maybe a physical 2012 server is needed or a 2012 VM is needed to support legacy applications. I don't expect a real response and I"m not sure if you can really find out other than doing a survey, but I'd put down money on there being less than a handful of users running 2012 hyper-v if any and certainly under 0.1% of the install base.

Sign In to comment.