Options

Internet connection dropping out when using static IP for external interface

I recently received a static IP address from my ISP and was hoping to configure the external interface to use this. Currently, it is set to use DHCP as from the Dashboard I can see that the IP address is aaa.bbb.ccc.66, the gateway is aaa.bbb.ccc.254 and the netmask is 255.255.248.0. These values were also confirmed by one of the support agents from my ISP.

When I tried to switch the external interface to static IP and enter those same details (with the netmask as /21), after about 90 minutes the internet connection dropped. As soon as I switched the interface back to DHCP mode, it started working again. I'm not quite sure what is causing it since the DHCP configuration seems to be exactly the same as the static IP configuration provided by my ISP.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options

Contact your ISP. I think that it is their issue, not the firewall

• Options

Already started that conversation but it can be like talking to a brick wall sometimes. I thought I'd make a quick post here to see if I was missing something obvious before I continued wrestling with the ISP. I was transferred to the "technical team" 6 times just today...

• Options

You can look at Traffic Monitor when the connection drops and see if there is any hint there.

Sign In to comment.