sslvpn user do not get notification about newer client for download

Hi,

Fireware 12.7.2 U1

After implementing AuthPoint to our sslvpn configuration the end user is not notified, if the firebox har a newer sslvpn client version available to upgrade with when connecting.

I noticed this with clients running 12.7.0 and the firebox has 12.7.2.

/Robert

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Robert,

The client does not run the check if the users are not local admin, as they'll be unable to install it. (This was a feature request that many customers asked for, as it kept prompting users to install something that they weren't able to install.)

The slightly older version of the VPN you're using for Windows shouldn't be causing any problems, the version number was just rev'ed so it was the same as the MacOS version that got an update to fix:

This release resolves an issue with the user permissions associated with the Mobile VPN with SSL Client for macOS installation folder. [FBX-21854]

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi @james.carson

Thanks. For the specific user i can tell, he is a local admin on his domain PC, so if i understand you correct, he should get a client update information?

/Robert

Hi @rv@kaufmann.dk If there's a difference in the client, -and- they have admin they should get a pop-up. Since the windows client version was just rev'ed to match the Mac client in this case, the check against the version hosted on the firewall will likely match, and would just be left alone.

-James Carson

• @james.carson

I have tested on my own laptop and i have local admins rights. Connecting with client 12.7 to fireware 12.7.2 do not give me a pop up for a newer version.

If i look at the installer 12.7 has product version 12.7 and file version 12.7 and 12.7.2 has product version 12.7.2 and file version 12.7.2.0.

Should this not give me a pop up for a upgrade version?

/robert

• I am seeing the same thing.

I noticed this in the SSLVPN client logs, which may be the reason why we are not getting an upgrade notification:
    2022-02-21T14:46:31.338 VERSION file is 5.35, client version is 5.35

@rv@kaufmann.dk
    The 12.7.2 version is just to keep parity with the fireware version. The actual software itself has not changed. Like Bruce mentioned above, the actual windows client version has not changed. The only change was on the MacOS version.

If you wish to install it manually to get the display version to change, you can do this, but you'll gain no benefits from doing so.

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.