T35-R?

I was reading through the 12.5 release notes and saw:

• WatchGuard System Manager now supports the upcoming Firebox T35-R model. [FBX-15682]

Haven't been able to find anything in the Products, Hardware Guides, or Support Center about this model. What is the -R?

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    edited July 2019

Rugged model. It's a T35 in a rugged housing. Will be out soon, release date and final specs will be announced on watchguard.com soon.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Pity.. I was hoping that the R stood for "rack-mountable" version..

Adrian from Australia

@xxup While the T-35 is designed to be a tabletop device, there are aftermarket rack mounts for the whole T-series.

-James Carson

• edited July 2019

My T35 "rack-mount kit" is my Cisco SG300-28 switch. The T35 sits on top of it!

I'll take a look around for those aftermarket kits that James mentioned.

EDIT: Not too bad! https://www.amazon.com/Rackmount-RM-WG-T5-Watchguard-Firebox-T35/dp/B01CT67R80?th=1

Gregg Hill

• Well down here they cost A$375, which is about US$264! I think I will get some brackets, an angle grinder and a tin of red paint and make my own.. :)

Adrian from Australia

• You feel that it needs to be painted red?

• @Bruce_Briggs said:
    You feel that it needs to be painted red?

Well, it is Adrian, and we know they do things differently down there!

How about a cheap half-deep shelf?

Gregg Hill

• That's a good idea.. I can then screw the legs of the T35 to the base of the shelf so that it won't get stolen.. It is a pain that the connections are at the rear..
    AND I can paint the shelf red.. :D

Adrian from Australia

• Well, you COULD mount it sideways on the shelf to make reaching the back easier! How have you been, Adrian?

Gregg Hill

• Been up and down.. Work is busy.. How about you? Any improvement?
    I need to find someone to sell me red spray paint.. It seems that graffiti artists can easily get it, but legitimate buyers need to show proof of age and answer 10,000 questions.. Crazy world..

Adrian from Australia

• I can send you a can

• Sadly, importing an spray can of red paint into Australia is up there with illegally bringing your dogs with you to Australian on your private jet..

Adrian from Australia

• How about if it is disguised as a can of beer ?

• "Redbull"?

Gregg Hill

• @James_Carson said:
    Rugged model. It's a T35 in a rugged housing. Will be out soon, release date and final specs will be announced on watchguard.com soon.

It's the metallic case as T70?

@MRuggieri

The current draft plans show the case being mostly metal with some plastic switches, etc. Keep an eye on the hardware guides page in the documentation. A full description with pictures, etc, will be posted there when it's ready.

-James Carson

@Geoff @MRuggieri

It looks like the announcement went out today.

You can find more information about it here:

(Firebox T35-R Datasheet)
    https://p.widencdn.net/yzmwqs/Datasheet_Firebox_T35-R

(WatchGuard Firebox T35 & Firebox T55)
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/tabletop/firebox-t35-t55
    *Aside from the rugged housing, the device performs the same as the existing T35.

-James Carson

• edited October 2019

Oooooohhh... This is pretty awesome.. If the datasheet is correct, it only uses a maximum 1.25 amps at 12 volts.. Easy work for a 12v 20Ah battery and a small (min 20w) solar panel.. Is the 12v connector plug included? The 85% humidity limit might be the only problem down here.. (Great for a desert - not so good in the tropics)..

Adrian from Australia

@xxup The 12v direct DC plug is included. The AC adapter (wall wart) can be purchased separately.

More info on page 2 of the hardware guide.
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/hardware guides/Firebox_T35_R_Hardware_Guide.pdf

-James Carson

• edited October 2019

@James_Carson Thank you for the hardware guide. I won't be using the AC Plug Pack. We have solar down here and a backup solar/battery setup for when the grid fails :) to keep the critical infrastructure running. This will enable us to run the firewall without using an Inverter.. I will budget this one for May next year..

Adrian from Australia

Sign In to comment.