Gateway Agent upgrade -- service cannot start

edited December 2021 in AuthPoint - General

Hi, just went through upgrading a gateway agent on a Windows Server 2019. The previous version of the agent was 6.1.1-503 and the new version is 7.0.1-534. I executed the new installer, and the installation went fine. The gateway showed "not connected" in WG Cloud, however. Turns out the gateway service wasn't running. I started it, and it kept switching back off. A reboot didn't help either. In the end, I had to uninstall the gateway agent, remove the gateway from the AuthPoint configuration, and reinstall/couple a new gateway agent. Then it worked. According to the documentation, this isn't expected behavior. Anyone else have this experience? I have more agents to upgrade, but I'd like input on this if I'm going about it wrong. Thanks! -- Dustin

Comments

• I'm actually have the same issue myself, and was unable to resolve it by uninstalling the gateway agent, removing the gateway from the authpoint config, and redoing the process. Did you have to do it multiple times?

• edited December 2021

@dexin said:
    Hi, just went through upgrading a gateway agent on a Windows Server 2019. The previous version of the agent was 6.1.1-503 and the new version is 7.0.1-534. I executed the new installer, and the installation went fine. The gateway showed "not connected" in WG Cloud, however. Turns out the gateway service wasn't running. I started it, and it kept switching back off. A reboot didn't help either. In the end, I had to uninstall the gateway agent, remove the gateway from the AuthPoint configuration, and reinstall/couple a new gateway agent. Then it worked. According to the documentation, this isn't expected behavior. Anyone else have this experience? I have more agents to upgrade, but I'd like input on this if I'm going about it wrong. Thanks! -- Dustin

It should work now after all of the chaos from the last couple of days. There was a AuthPoint outage that caused issues that WG fixed by today

• @rmar said:
    I'm actually have the same issue myself, and was unable to resolve it by uninstalling the gateway agent, removing the gateway from the authpoint config, and redoing the process. Did you have to do it multiple times?

No, fortunately just the once. I'll likely try to upgrade a backup agent in another domain today to see if it's working correctly now.

• The issue persists. I'll make a case and update this post if a solution is found.

• It seems that there is an outage again. No ETA. > @dexin said:

The issue persists. I'll make a case and update this post if a solution is found.

• edited December 2021

You can the status here:
    https://status.watchguard.com/

status Americas Region
    Performance Degraded

Identified - We have identified an issue in the status of AuthPoint Gateways that started at approximately 12:20 UTC on 2021-12-29. The authentications are not impacted, but the status and installation of new Gateways are degraded. Our teams are working to restore normal operations and we apologize for the impact this event has caused.

Dec 30 2021, 18:11 UTC

Monitoring - We have deployed a fix and the affected service is beginning to return to normal. Full recovery is currently expected to take up to 36 hours. Until that time, some Gateways may continue to display incorrect statuses or experience issues during new installations. We're continuing to work on decreasing the time to full recovery and are monitoring to ensure system stability. We'll post updates as new information is available.

Dec 30 2021, 20:12 UTC

• Dang, I really should have checked here first. Two sites with gateway show not connected. I removed the gateway on my server and tried to reinstall it, then got an error stating, "The gateway could not be registered. You must be able to connect to the Internet...."

Now I see that the issue is not on my systems!

Gregg Hill

• BTW, "The authentications are not impacted" is untrue. I am unable to get the AuthPoint push on my phone from two different installations using AuthPoint. Good thing that Duo Security still works!

Gregg Hill

• I've always been able to reinstall a gateway without any issue, so it seems my region isn't affected by the outage. The odd thing is that when going through the upgrade process, once it's finished, the service simply won't stay on. Despite repeated restarts, the service shuts off every time.

Sign In to comment.