Starlink and SSL VPN

Has anyone setup SSL VPN over Starlink yet? I am being told that StarLink, and / or Xplornet does not support watchguard vpn over satellite networks... ?

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @combat_keith
    As far as I'm aware there's no reason it shouldn't work. You may have trouble setting up a server if that ISP restricts inbound access to the firewall.

WatchGuard's SSLVPN is based on OpenVPN, so if OpenVPN works, SSLVPN is likely to as well.

Doing some cursory research on the internet suggests that it works for some users and does not work for others. For users having issues, It may be down to connection condition, load on their system, or something else.

The firebox does offer SSLVPN, IPSec (IKEv1,) IKEv2, and L2TP VPN options, so if there's an issue with one, there's several others you can try with.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• If I understand correctly, and that's open to debate, starlink provide us with a Non Routable IP address in the 100.64.0.0/10 range as such I believe we can initiate a VPN connection to somewhere else from a starlink connected client, but I don't see how someone else outside our network can connect to this non routable IP address.

So if your VPN Client is on Starlink and the VPN Server is elsewhere on the internet then all should work. If the VPN Server is on the starlink connection and the clients are elsewhere then unless the connection is server side initiated I dont see how you could get it to work.

From the Starlink networking FAQ's SSL based VPNS work, however VPNS that rely on GRE, ESP, AH, L2TP are dropped by the CGNAT that Starlink use

Sign In to comment.