Is there a simple way to tell what interface is being used with Multi-wan (Failover) setup?

On a T35 with multi-wan failover configured and working properly, how do I tell plainly tell if the firewall is in failover mode or not?
The firewall has Eth0 set to external (FIOS Internet) and Eth4 set to external (Cellular backup via CradlePoint device). If I am physical near the firewall I can see the failover light lit up when the firewall had failed over to the secondary internet source (Eth4), but there is no such indication when connected remotely via WatchGuard System Manager.
I know that I can look at Traffic Monitor to see the interface that is being used (with traffic being logged), and I know that I can look at the Bandwidth Meter to see which of the External interfaces is using more bandwidth; but is there 'black and white' status indicator showing if the firewall has failed over or not?
I want to stress that I am NOT having an issue with failover working, but simply looking for an 'indicator light' through the WatchGuard System Manager interface to know whether it has failed over or not.

Best Answer

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative
    Answer ✓

There isn't an indicator on the WebUI or WSM because many of our customers have intricate SD-WAN or Policy Based routing scenerios where it would just add more confusion.

Taking a look at the front panel interfaces graphs will quickly show what interfaces are in use. If you're looking for a place to tell at a glace, I'd suggest looking there.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Answers

• After reading this I thought I'd have a look at my appliances and in Firebox System Manager, if I go to the "SD-WAN" tab, the "Global" action shows the interfaces I have configured for Multi-WAN, and moreover the interface name in bold seems to be the one that is active.

(Similarly it shows the other SD-WAN actions as well, along with their active interfaces, the current one being in bold as well).

Wonder if this is what the OP was asking for?

• @PhilT_VIT said:
    After reading this I thought I'd have a look at my appliances and in Firebox System Manager, if I go to the "SD-WAN" tab, the "Global" action shows the interfaces I have configured for Multi-WAN, and moreover the interface name in bold seems to be the one that is active.

(Similarly it shows the other SD-WAN actions as well, along with their active interfaces, the current one being in bold as well).

Wonder if this is what the OP was asking for?

Good observation, but no, the OP already noted that view, "I know that I can look at Traffic Monitor to see the interface that is being used (with traffic being logged), and I know that I can look at the Bandwidth Meter to see which of the External interfaces is using more bandwidth; but is there 'black and white' status indicator showing if the firewall has failed over or not?"

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.