Exchange reverse proxy url

I am about to try to setup an Exchange reverse proxy to my E2016 server and I am still a little confused about the url setup. Currently we use the same url internally and externally mail.mydomain.com. Can I set the reverse proxy up with the exact same internal and external url? Or do need to have something like mail.mydomain.com and internal.mydomain.com?

Comments

• Just wanted to add we are using split-brain DNS to accomplish this.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Greg,

You'll need to use something different for the access portal itself:

See:

-Each internal web application must have an FQDN that is in the same domain as the Access Portal (for example, if the FQDN of the Access Portal is portal.example.com, the web application should be .example.com)

(Reverse Proxy for the Access Portal)
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/services/access portal/access_portal_reverse-proxy.html

If you're using split DNS, this is fine, but keep in mind that this is from the firewall's perspective. If you do a DNS lookup using diagnostic tasks, you'll likely see just an internal or external IP if you do the lookup repeatedly.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Will I need to modify the Exchange server internal host name setting in Exchange Admin or can I leave set as both being mail.mydomain.com like I have it now?

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

You should be fine as long as as the firewall can resolve it.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.