Options

Connecting T-20 Firebox Directly to ISP

I purchased a new Firebox T-20 some days ago. I would like to place the Netgear router(not given from the ISP) behind the firewall so I can connect wirelessly after the traffic goes through the Firewall. Can I connect the Firebox directly to the ethernet cable (WAN port) and receive traffic directly? If so, do you have a guide/description of how to configure the Firewall?
Thks

Comments

• Options

Presumably you can connect it directly.

Try using DHCP on external.
    Follow the QuickSetup directions.

You can always contact your ISP for guidance on connections to them.

• Options

Hi Bruce, thanks for your answer! However the ISP assigned to me a static ip address (for external) so i think i dont have to use the DHCP..right?
    Thanks again

• Options

Correct.

• Options

Your intent to "place the Netgear router (not given from the ISP) behind the firewall so I can connect wirelessly after the traffic goes through the Firewall) sounds like you want to use the Netgear ROUTER as a wireless access point. That's not the best thing to do, but it will work. Using a dedicated wireless access point is a better solution.

What you need to do is to disable the DHCP server in the Netgear and preferably give the Netgear an unused static IP address. Set up DHCP on the T20 or use a LAN server for it. Then, connect any LAN port on the Netgear to your LAN, usually with a LAN switch that connects to Eth1 Trusted port of the T20. Leave the Netgear's WAN port disconnected!

That way, you use your Netgear as a wireless access point and it does not interfere with the LAN...until it gets reset to factory defaults, which I have seen happen.

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.