SMTP Proxy - Max email recipients

Just curios if this setting in the SMTP Proxy count for just for address for the internal domain or all addresses, say we have a limit of 20 but only 2 are internal and 35 are external, will it still allow my 2 internals and then drop one it reaches the 20 address for the rest

Comments

• For incoming e-mail, I would expect only internal e-mail addresses would be counted.

"The Firebox counts and allows the specified number of addresses through, and then drops the other addresses."

• That is how I read it as well, but we had an issue where the internal address is part of a big recipients list (200+ individual addresses, different issue) and and did not receive it

It was probably after the 99 default limit but they never received it. So it seems it will only allow the first 99 total addresses vs just internal.

But now thinking on it more it does not seem to know how to id internal vs external anyway so its probably just total addresses

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @TimPoutler

If you're running into a max recipient problem, I'd suggest looking to see if your mail server has a setting to break that message into multiple emails. Even if it did get past the firewall, with 200+ recipients many receiving MTAs will reject the mail, or truncate the RCPT TO headers.

What'd effectively happen would be your mail server breaks the message down into 4 different duplicate emails with 50 recipients, (or a similar number,) each.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @James_Carson
    James - how would this help for incoming SMTP?
    Just curious

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@Bruce_Briggs sorry, didn't catch the incoming part.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.