Dimension vs Log Server

Hopefully an easy question to answer...
Does Dimension replace the need for the Log Server?
Would there be any benefit for running both?

Comments

• Q. Does Dimension replace the need for the Log Server?
    A. yes
    Q. Would there be any benefit for running both?
    A. Dimension requires a current LiveSecurity license.
    WSM Log & Report servers do not

• Excellent. Thank you Bruce.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

@David_UK
    In addition to what Bruce mentioned, the legacy log/report server also has a web services API that allows other things to query it.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/reports/wsdl_reporting_c.html

It's very bare bones, but if you wanted to do that sort of thing, would allow you to get raw data to generate your own reports. Dimension only allows access to its database if you stand up an external database server

Dimension is much more self-contained in its own VM, so it tends to not suffer from database corruption issues that were relatively common in the Windows version of LRS.

If you have the disk space and CPU time, running both certainly won't hurt anything. Dimension should perform better and have more features, but both will database log messages just fine if set up correctly.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• James, thanks.
    I use the Log Server but haven't, until now, considered Dimension. Consider it a 'New Year resolution'... I'm going to install and have a look at what Dimension can do.

edited January 2021

@David_UK
    If you'd just like to have a look around, our sales team keeps a demo instance of it running for users to see everything.

https://demo.watchguard.com
    user - demo
    pass - visibility

The 'webdemo' firewall is the one you'll want to look at as it's logging. It's a read only environment, so you won't be able to make any changes, but it does show what it looks like.

-James Carson

• @James_Carson said:
    @David_UK
    If you'd just like to have a look around, our sales team keeps a demo instance of it running for users to see everything.

https://demo.watchguard.com
    user - demo
    pass - visibility

The 'webdemo' firewall is the one you'll want to look at as it's logging. It's a read only environment, so you won't be able to make any changes, but it does show what it looks like.

Apologies James - I'd missed your reply earlier in the month. Thanks.

• I have finally managed to get around to installing Dimension this morning. Really impressed! Very nice to be able to see what's going on in more detail. The IP address mapping feature helps make assessment and analysis easier. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Dimension is working and looking good. However, in the Firebox Web UI, the Dimension Server details in the right-hand panel shows Dimension as 'Disabled'. The Log Server IP has now changed to the IP of the Dimension Server. Have I missed a step or done something wrong?

• @David_UK said:
    Dimension is working and looking good. However, in the Firebox Web UI, the Dimension Server details in the right-hand panel shows Dimension as 'Disabled'. The Log Server IP has now changed to the IP of the Dimension Server. Have I missed a step or done something wrong?

I've now got both the orignal Log Server showing correctly on the Front Panel (Added it as Server2 in the logging settings). I have the Dimension server as Server1 in the logging settings but Front Panel still shows Dimension as being disabled.

The dimension line on the webui front panel refers to dimension command, a management feature you can use to access the firewall via dimension. It's a subscription service that comes with total security.

Add a Firebox to Dimension for Management
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/dimension/devices_manage_d.html

-James Carson

• Ah, understood. Thanks James.

• I'm conviced Dimension is the way to go, currently running Log Server, but we do not run VM. Here comes the dumb question, Does dimension runs on Windows Server?

• No, only on a VM

• VMWare Workstation runs on Windows.
    I run it on my Win 10 PC.
    While this is not officially supported by WG, Dimension works fine on VMWare Workstation

@CTX1300
    Dimension can run on windows server -If- your windows server supports the HyperV role.

You can install HyperV and run the VM that way.

See:
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/dimension/installation_hyper-v_d.html

-James Carson

Sign In to comment.