Project plan or checklist for upgrades

Hi All,
We are migrating our 6 XTM 515 firewalls, to 6 M270 and M470 models, so I just wondered if anybody had a project plan or a checklist for all of the tasks when migrating firewalls? I've searched around and can't find anything so might have to create one myself!
TIA
Stuart

Comments

• Juan_NakasoneJuan_Nakasone WatchGuard Representative

Hello Stuart,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, but the Fireware documentation describes the procedure to migrate a configuration to a new Firebox.

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/basicadmin/config_file_use_new_model_wsm.html

Sincerely,

Juan Nakasone | Support Engineer
    WatchGuard Technologies, Inc. | www.watchguard.com

• @StuartJSeed said:
    Hi All,
    We are migrating our 6 XTM 515 firewalls, to 6 M270 and M470 models, so I just wondered if anybody had a project plan or a checklist for all of the tasks when migrating firewalls? I've searched around and can't find anything so might have to create one myself!
    TIA
    Stuart

You may have already gone through the upgrades but here is my process, hope it helps!

1. Activate New Trade-Up Firebox: I use the Web UI to speed through the setup with everything default, EXCEPT for the status and admin passwords that I copy over from the the old to new Trade-Up firebox since those are not saved to config files.
    2. Update firebox to the latest firmware via the Web UI (easy if you kept defaults mentioned above, i.e. external DHCP & LAN 10.0.1.1:8080 w/ DHCP too)
      3.** Going forward with the WSM**: Save the old firebox's current config to your pc. Then open said config file on the New Trade-Up Firebox via the WSM. (You can also disconnect from the old firebox and be connected to the new Trade-Up firebox only going forward)
    3. Continuing with the WSM: Remove the old firebox's Feature Key and Import the Trade-up's Feature Key.
    4. Confirm that the ports physically available on the Trade-up jive with the old firebox's Network Configuration interfaces, and tweak as needed.
    5. Since in your case the new Trade-Up models potentially come with new Subscription Services, i.e. the AI Anti-Virus, go through those as well and make sure they are configured as desired.
    6. Save config file to the new Trade-Up Firebox.

And that should be it!

Also make sure to circle back to the new WatchGuard Cloud Setup!
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/WG-Cloud/Devices/device_add_to_cloud.html?Highlight=watchguard cloud

Sign In to comment.