Does Watchguard only keep one AWS Vpn tunnel up?

Hi all, I have just setup a new Amazon Web Services VPN connection into our Watchguard M440 as per the watchguard instructions and the connection is up. AWS configures two tunnels for redundancy. But AWS is telling me that tunnel 2 is down. If I change the tunnel order, they swap over and tunnel one is down and tunnel two is up.
Is this the expected action?

Best Answer

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Using Virtual Interfaces (BOVPN VIF) is how the firewall would keep multiple up. In general, the firewall will only use whichever is on the top of the gateway list (or if you're using dynamic routing, whatever follows the rules you set up.)

If you're using standard VPN Gateway/Tunnel pairs, the firewall will only bring one gateway up at a time.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @james.carson said:
    Using Virtual Interfaces (BOVPN VIF) is how the firewall would keep multiple up. In general, the firewall will only use whichever is on the top of the gateway list (or if you're using dynamic routing, whatever follows the rules you set up.)

If you're using standard VPN Gateway/Tunnel pairs, the firewall will only bring one gateway up at a time.

Hi James,

I am going to have to all your bluff on this one. I am currently struggling to get my M270 to work with these settings, I have followed the official guide to setting up AWS VPN connections to Watchguard, I am using BOVPN Virtual Interface and my secondary tunnel is still showing as down on AWS

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @G4S_MTL
    If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest creating a support case so that the support team can take a look at your logs with you and assist. I don't really have a reason to bluff regarding settings on VPNs. You can do so via the support center button on the top right of this page.

You can find the documentation here:
    https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/bovpn/manual/bovpn_vif_static_routing_aws.html

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

Sign In to comment.