WatchGuard Mobile VPN Client is causing Windows to hang

Hi WatchGuard community,

Since having to re-install the WatchGuard Mobile VPN client for a remote user, they are seeing a black screen, followed by Windows hanging, when they unlock Windows.

Uninstalling the client resolves the issue.
There is only a very basic error in the Windows Event viewer which is Login failing because of NCP Credentialprovider.dll

Is this a common issue after re-installing the client?
Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks

Best Answer

• Hi James,

I just wanted to update this post with the cause of the problem.
    We found that the optional component VPN Credential Provider had been installed. No credentials had been provided for it, so it looks like when it was attempting to create a VPN tunnel before login, it was failing and resulting in a black screen when the user attempted to login.

I hope this is of help to any other members.

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @SupportGuy
    I've never seen that particular issue -- for something that drastic I'd definitely recommend a support case.

It'd be worth checking to see if there are any OpenVPN based VPN clients installed already. WatchGuard's SSLVPN is based on OpenVPN, so the various TAP adapters installed can cause trouble. The VPN client offers an option to not install the default TAP adapter if that's the case.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi James,

Thank you for your response.

We're going to try a re-install again to see if it was just a one off but I will check for the OpenVPN adaptors at the same time.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then we'll log a ticket with support.

Thanks for your help with this

Sign In to comment.