Effectivity of Anti-Spam

Hello.
For the moment we're preparing to move our E-mailsystem to O365, using the online version of exchange. Actual we have another mailing system in use. The smtp requests from outside where scanned by the firebox and than forwarded to antispam-filter.
Is it a good idea to use the anti-spam functionality of the firebox instead of a specialized antispamsoftware?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards

Catweazle30169

Best Answer

Answers

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hello,

While it is possible to have your mail scanned by the firebox (and spamBlocker) before being sent to Office 365, this does have the drawback that your mail has one additional hop to go through (that could potentially fail.) Since the Outlook client doens't send mail via SMTP, this is the only chance the firebox has to scan it.

If you'd like to do this, the KB article here walks you through the process:

(Configure the Firebox SMTP proxy to work with Office 365 and other cloud-based email services)
    https://watchguardsupport.secure.force.com/publicKB?type=KBArticle&SFDCID=kA2F0000000XZDQKA4&lang=en_US

Thank you

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hello James,
    thanks for your answer. How effective is your spamblocker? We're using GWAVA. With well training of this software and very granular settings I have one or two spams in my mailbox - per month. When I look at your possible settings, its only possible to white- or blacklist senders or domains.
    When your interested in the software I use, lets make an appointment , that show you what I use. Maybe there are ideas for your developers...

In a additional hop I don't see a problem. I suppose, other customers use this method.

Regards from Hannover, Germany

Dirk

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Dirk,

GWAVA is a full blown MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) and won't really fit into the Firebox's architecture. WatchGuard did previously have a product (the XCS) that was more similar to GWAVA which has since reached end of life and been retired.

Conversely, spamBlocker is part of the SMTP transparent proxy, and scans traffic while it traverses that proxy.

If you're running into issues where spamBlocker isn't catching spam, or is flagging incorrect mail as spam, I'd suggest opening a support case so that that team can take a in-depth look at your issue.

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hello Bruce, hello James,
    thanks for your anwers. So I don't have any comments here. I think. I will give your spamblocker a chance on our system.

Have a nice day :)

Dirk

Sign In to comment.