Basic Rename and Duplication of Policies.

It would be great if we could rename policies and other objects in the syste,, i.e. nothing should be locked from changes; and something else should be used as a primary key (if thats the issue). We have dozens of policies and many of them have changed purpose over time.

On the same subject policy or other object duplication would be a huge enhancement. When you are creating a dozen similar policies (lets say you have a dozen webservers), it just makes life easier to duplicate and edit that new policy.

Here is a good Case example of an issue both of these problems present. We are moving from one ISP to another ISP, and both will coexist for a short period. I will have to recreate ALL the rules again from scratch. I'd rather duplicate each policy/SNAT with the new Public IP. Just adds a lot of work.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Maitek

For the SNAT (static nat) try using aliases as the source (like any-external, or the interface name, instead of the IP.)

For policy names, these can be changed in the system manager.

There are several enhancements that are in progress to help moving interfaces.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• system manager = Watchguard System Manager (WSM) - Policy Manager

• sounds good. I mean, sure in retrospect we can work to know that we can name something that can never change. However that is just bad in practice. Good to know about system manager having that ability, I work entirely inside the browser admin.

• Policy Manager will not let one rename the "Policy Type" name or the name of an Alias, but that can be done by editing the config's XML file. I use Notepad++ to do it. Just BE CAREFUL doing it and make a backup first.

Gregg Hill

• Thanks for everyone's feedback, but again these are all advanced methods for a missing basic feature in web admin. Let me go back to my original topic. These enhancements would be a great to have in the web admin. Many admins are not using policy manager even though it is more capable, knowing that you can do it in policy manager all the more proves its missing from web admin. In a nutshell, you should be able to edit anything you've typed in; without having to redo work.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @Maitek
    That's currently an open feature request:
    FBX-18141 -- Ability to rename Policy in WebUI

The only way to rename those objects right now is to create a new one, or to edit it as discussed above using the management application (WSM).

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• @James_Carson said:
    Hi @Maitek
    That's currently an open feature request:
    FBX-18141 -- Ability to rename Policy in WebUI

The only way to rename those objects right now is to create a new one, or to edit it as discussed above using the management application (WSM).

As I noted, even with Policy Manager, one cannot edit the names of a Policy Type or of an Alias. That requires opening the config file directly using a text editor.

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.