Options

Trying to re-purpose an old Firebox x15 edge to access a home computer

I'm trying to create a secure connection to my home computer to access a database file when I'm on the road. My remote computer is a Windows 10 and I just want to use the built in windows VPN for the client. Can I use an old Firebox edge to create a secure VPN for this purpose? It's so old (around 2005) that its been already deactivated.

Choices in the web interface are Manual VPN and Managed VPN. Any help will be appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @TKC

I honestly wouldn't use a device that old -- the latest version for it is 11.3.8, but it'll be stuck on whatever version it's on now.

There's a whole host of vulnerabilities that have occurred since that device was out, like SSL heartbleed, shellshock, etc.

The sales team will often take those older devices as part of a trade-up, so if you're interested in something newer, take a look at findpartner.watchguard.com

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Options

I second Bruce's comment about using a new consumer-grade router. It would be far more secure for this purpose than using an old X15 that Moses had on his network.

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.