Feature Request - More SSIDs Per Radio

It would be great if the Access Points could accommodate more than 8 SSIDs per radio.

We are using Secure Wi-Fi in a business setting that does offer wifi to the public and other organizations.

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @jesseg

I'd be happy to enter a feature request, however:
    The APs are limited to 8 SSIDs due to the amount of time the radio needs to spend sending beacon and other required traffic. Increasing that number could negatively impact AP performance.

Could you provide some details on what specifically the need for so many SSIDs on a single AP is? (The context helps our product management team better understand the request.)

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Hi James,
    Thanks for the follow up. Would be more than happy to answer :)

We're open to the public and we let other organizations use our office space from time to time to meet with clients. When the other orginizations come into our facilities they connect through wifi.

Not only do we have our own SSIDs for the varying types of employees (4), we also need an SSID for the public and then each different organization we lend office space to. Most of the SSIDs are on their own separate VLAN.

Pretty much boils down to VLANing the varying SSIDs for security reasons.

We're still in the process of moving our current wifi infrastructure over to WatchGuard and I'm starting to feel a little claustrophobic with our SSID space, if you catch my drift haha.

I can tell that I'm already going to have to get rid of the individual SSIDs for the external organizations and just have them all use the same one, but even with that I believe I'll be right at the limit of 8.

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @jesseg
    I've created a feature request for you -- that is AP-711.

If you'd like to follow progress on this request, please make a case in our support portal, and mention AP-711 -- the tech can set that up for you.

The next step is for it to be reviewed by our product managers, and accepted or rejected from there. (There could potentially be hardware limitations, or this could be rejected and made into several requests to cover specific changes that would need to be made, for example.)

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Thanks James!

Sign In to comment.