xtm33 to T70

I'm about to purchase a T70 to replace a xtm33 that has LiveSecurity Service Enabled and ends 02/03/2021. Will i be able to transfer that from the xtm33 to T70?

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi @NetworkWise

You should be able to transfer it over so long as both devices are on your account. You'll need to open a customer care case in order to do that (either via the phone or in the support center portal.)

Subscriptions are moved by dollar value, not days, due to cost differences between devices. Whatever time you have left on the XTM33 would be worked out dollar-wise, and then applied to the T70 at that device's renewal rate.

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• Before you buy a T70, have you looked at the new models to see if any could do what you need for less money?

Gregg Hill

• Even a T20 is faster in almost every respect than an XTM 33, although it's designed for "5 users" and has less VPNs and VLANs. For the Total Security package, there may not be enough TDR licenses with a T20 to satisfy your needs. A T40 is MUCH faster than an XTM 33 and costs a LOT less than a T70. I replaced a client's T50 with a T35 instead of renewing the T50, savin gmoney now and at the next renewal. It was much cheaper and it's faster than the T50. To replace T35 units, I'll be using T40 units. On my own home office network, my T20 is indistinguishable from my T35 performance.

Gregg Hill

• @Greggmh123 said:
    Even a T20 is faster in almost every respect than an XTM 33, although it's designed for "5 users" and has less VPNs and VLANs. For the Total Security package, there may not be enough TDR licenses with a T20 to satisfy your needs. A T40 is MUCH faster than an XTM 33 and costs a LOT less than a T70. I replaced a client's T50 with a T35 instead of renewing the T50, savin gmoney now and at the next renewal. It was much cheaper and it's faster than the T50. To replace T35 units, I'll be using T40 units. On my own home office network, my T20 is indistinguishable from my T35 performance.

So this is for my home/lab environment and i don't want to pay the $1000+ that it will cost for a brand new unit that would fit my needs. I have a symmetrical gigabit internet connection and over a dozen vlans so for these new units i would need a T40 and up. When doing a comparison it still looks like the T70 is a better fit for me

https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/appliances-compare?pid1=212&pid2=8811&pid3=42056

• Ah, now you give pertinent details! You still have not mentioned what level of subscription you want, other than transferring Live Security. Is Live Security all you want?

Regarding your "i don't want to pay the $1000+ that it will cost for a brand new unit" comment, where are you going to find a T70 with Live Security for less than a T40, or for that matter, for less than $1000?

"I'm about to purchase a T70" sounds like buying a new unit to me. A T70 with one year of Standard Support, no UTM, is $1445 USD list price. A T80 is the same price.

Then again, if you are only buying a Firebox with Live Security and no UTM subscription, you'll get nearly line speed anyway with their Gigabit interfaces on your Gigabit connection. You can ignore all the speed specs on the chart for UTM, AV, and IPS throughput.

https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/appliances-compare?pid1=42056&pid2=8811&pid3=42061

I do wonder why the T80 is under-powered compared to a T70. Hey, WatchGuard, why did you build a new Firebox slower than its comparative older model?

Gregg Hill

• There is a trade up program which may be of interest:
    https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-sales/promotions/customer-loyalty-trade-up-program
    The T40 & T80 are the trade models for the XTM 33.

The Red for Red program just ended on June 30th alas. That usually is a great offer.

• @Greggmh123 said:

https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/appliances-compare?pid1=42056&pid2=8811&pid3=42061

I do wonder why the T80 is under-powered compared to a T70. Hey, WatchGuard, why did you build a new Firebox slower than its comparative older model?

@James_Carson

• @Greggmh123 said:
    Ah, now you give pertinent details! You still have not mentioned what level of subscription you want, other than transferring Live Security. Is Live Security all you want?

Regarding your "i don't want to pay the $1000+ that it will cost for a brand new unit" comment, where are you going to find a T70 with Live Security for less than a T40, or for that matter, for less than $1000?

"I'm about to purchase a T70" sounds like buying a new unit to me. A T70 with one year of Standard Support, no UTM, is $1445 USD list price. A T80 is the same price.

Then again, if you are only buying a Firebox with Live Security and no UTM subscription, you'll get nearly line speed anyway with their Gigabit interfaces on your Gigabit connection. You can ignore all the speed specs on the chart for UTM, AV, and IPS throughput.

Yeah all i'm interested in is the Live Security and I can get the T70 new for about $600.

• What SKU is that? All I find is WGT70001-US and its lowest price I can find is over $1100!

Gregg Hill

Hi @NetworkWise

In real world performance, T80 will be faster, especially for things like IPSEC VPNs and running content inspection (which some people refer to as DPI.) -- when standing them up against each other with synthetic benchmarks, the numbers can look a bit skewed. There was also quite a bit of overlap between it and the M200 appliance.

The T80 and M270 have better defined niches with the current specs.

-James Carson

• James, I think that my T20 is slightly faster than my T35, but maybe I am just imagining it. Would any of the T20 hardware make it faster than a T35? It's in my home office with two users on the network.

Gregg Hill

Hi @Greggmh123

The line was consolidated a bit, from 4 to 3 devices in the tabletop lineup due to customer feedback. They're also a new generation of devices.

if you have suggestions for new products, I'd suggest posting in the product enhancement area:
    https://community.watchguard.com/watchguard-community/categories/firebox-product-enhancements

Thank you,

-James Carson

• James, I don't have suggestions for new products. I was just wondering if there was any hardware in the T20 that would make it faster than a T35. I know there is a firmware difference, and maybe 12.6.1 Update 1 is just faster than 12.5.4. Some of us in the T20 beta felt that the T20 was faster than our T35 devices.

Gregg Hill

Sign In to comment.