how to define a name for each ip address log/view in the web ui interface ?

hi,
when i check the traffic or the log, i always see IP address of the clients, so to know who it is, i have to constantly check the DHCP leases page to know who is behing the IP address.

is it possible to define a client name to a mac address and make the web ui interface display that name instead of the ip client ?

To have constantly report to the lease page is very boring and "timing consumption" !
At least, the user interface should display the logical Host name of each client and add the IP address in a tooltip or concataned to the name...

Best regards

Comments

• james.carsonjames.carson Moderator, WatchGuard Representative

Hi Amiens80,

Currently this is possible in Dimension, but not in the Firebox's interface itself. In Dimension it can be set up two ways:

-Via Dynamic Host Mapping (using reverse DNS, if a server exists on your network that can accept and reply to those queries.)

-Via Host Mapping (you define the hostname/IP in a table.

You can read more about this here:

https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/dimension/log-server_ip-map_d.html

Due to the short duration of the logs on the Firebox itself, I would suggest that you consider using Dimension if you're looking to gather data for reports, etc, as you'll be able to do so for days, weeks, or months, instead of the last half hour or so (depending on traffic.)

Thank you,

-James Carson
    WatchGuard Customer Support

• a friend told me to use front word application to replace ip string by my own strings (app device name) so i can manually use a word replace extension like

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxreplace/?src=recommended

i will test that solution with Fireware Web UI

• the solution i gave previously is not well. it worked fine the first time but as the screen auto-refresh, it screws up the html code after the next refresh, moreover the hrek link (based on ip address text) are destroyed (because txt replaced is not a ip address!)

Sign In to comment.